SEN and Disabilities

Information about SEN and Disability

In 2014, the Children and Families Act was passed. It had three parts to it: Fostering and Adoption, Family Law and SEN and Disability. The SEN and Disability part is supported by the new SEND Code of Practice, which can be found here. This Code tells everybody involved in supporting children and young people with SEND, what the law says they have to do. It sets out clearly what local authorities and educational institutions should and must do. Should means they have to follow this guidance unless they have good reasons not to. The aims of the reforms were to ensure that children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities achieve well in their early years, at school and in college; find employment; lead happy and fulfilled lives and have choices and control over their support. The reforms will implement a new approach which seeks to join up help across education, health and care, from birth to 25. Help will be offered at the earliest possible point, which children and young people being fully involved in decisions about their support. This will help lead to better outcomes and more efficient ways of working. The vision is for children with SEN and Disabilities is the same as for all children and young people; that they achieve well and lead happy and fulfilled lives.

Disabled Children and Young People

Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability that is ‘a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’. Long-term is defined as ‘a year or more’ and ‘substantial’ means ‘more than minor or trivial’. Please see Wirral’s Medical and Physical Support Team and the Autism and Social Communication Team The Equality Act 2010 sets out the legal obligations that schools, early years providers, post-16 institutions, local authorities and others have towards disabled children and young people: The requirements of the Equality Act have NOT been changed by the Children And Families Act

Children with Medical Conditions

The Children & Families Act places a duty on maintained schools and academies to make arrangements to support pupils with medical conditions. A healthcare plan will set out the type and level of support required to meet these needs. Guidance on “Supporting pupils at school with medical conditions” can be found by clicking here.

Useful Documents

What is an EHC Plan?

What is an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)and who is it for?

This short video prepared by the Council for Disabled Children is a really helpful visual answer to this often asked question.

From September 2014 Education, Health and Care Plans have been replacing Statements of Educational Needs and Learning Disability Assessments. They are person-centred plans that bring the child or young person’s education, health and care needs information together in a single document.

EHC Plans are for children and young people between the ages of 0-25. EHC Plans are designed to give families more control over how they are supported and can include a personal budget. Having an EHC Plan means the different agencies that provide education, health and social care support will work together to help children and young people achieve their goals. Before children and young people get an EHC Plan they must have an EHC Needs Assessment. Click here to see Wirral’s EHC Plan format.

Who will get an EHC Plan?

EHC Plans are for children and young people who have special educational need disability that cannot be met by support that is usually available in a setting, school or college. This is known as what is “ordinarily available” and is expected that schools provide. Wirral’s threshold documents give detail about what schools are expected to provide for children with SEN in schools. You can find the threshold documents in Section 22 of the revised SEND Handbook listed below:

If you want to find out more about EHC Plans you can talk to the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) in your school or by contacting:

Useful Documents

Who is eligible and how to request an EHC Plan?

It is usually an early years setting, a school or college who request an EHC Assessment but parents can also make a request. The following people can request for the local authority to conduct an education, health and care needs assessment for a child or young person aged between 0 and 25:

  • the child’s parent
  • a young person over the age of 16 but under the age of 25, and
  • a person acting on behalf of a school or post-16 institution (this should ideally be with the knowledge and agreement of the parent or young person where possible)

In addition, anyone else can bring a child or young person who has (or may have) SEN to the attention of the local authority, particularly where they think an EHC needs assessment may be necessary. (Further details can be found in 9.9 of the Code of Practice) There are also local groups that can provide you with support and information. These include:

To request an Educational Health Care Plan (EHC Plan) please contact the Special Educational Needs Coordinator in your child’s school/nursery or speak with your health visitor. Alternatively, you can apply directly to the SEN team by completing the below form and returning to [email protected] or posting to SEN Team, PO Box 290, Brighton Street, Wallasey, CH27 9FQ, along with any additional evidence you would like us to review.


Parent Carer Form to complete when making a request for an EHC needs assessment

Eligibility Criteria

A local authority must conduct education, health and care needs assessment when it considers that a child or young person may have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made. In considering whether an EHC Needs Assessment is necessary, the local authority will consider whether there is evidence that depsite the early years provider, school or post-16 institution, having taken relevant an purposeful action to identify, assess and meet the SEN of a child or young person, the child or young person has not made expected progress (paragraphs 9.14 to 9.15 of the Code of Practice). The EHC needs assessment should not normally be the first step in the process, rather it should follow a period of assess, plan, do, review (this is called a graduated response). Wirral school’s often use an additional needs support plan to record how they are supporting a child or young person. Click here to see an Additional SEND Support Plan. Wirral’s EHC Plan process diagram (EHC Plan Pathway) can be found here. When considering requests for EHC Assessments, Wirral use a set of documents referred to as “Wirral Threshold Documents”. These documents seperate Special Educational Needs and Disability into the four broad areas of the code and layout what is expected of schools in terms of their ability to support children and young people. This is known as provision which is “ordinarily available” for children with SEN and “reasonable adjustments” for children with disabilities. It is only when children and young people are not able to make progress with what is ordinarily available/available through reasonable adjustments, that they will be eligible for an EHC Plan. Wirral’s threshold documents can be found in Section 22 of the Revised SEND Handbook listed below: Revised SEND Handbook

Local SEN Arrangements


Wirral is committed to giving all children and young people a high quality education that allows them to achieve well in their early years, at schools and college and lead happy and fulfilled lives.

All Wirral settings are required by the Code of Practice to identify and address the SEN of the children/young people that they support. They must:

  • Use their best endeavours to make sure that a child/young person with SEN gets the support they need – this means doing everything they can to meet children and young people’s SEN
  • Ensure that children and young people with SEN engage in activities alongside pupils who do not have SEN
  • Designate a teacher to be responsible for co-ordinating SEN provision
  • Inform parents/young people when they are making special educational provision
  • Prepare a “SEN Information Report” – Wirral Schools have prepared this report, which includes their arrangements for the admission of disabled children, the steps taken to prevent disabled children from being treated less favourably than others, the facilities provided to enable access to the school for disabled children and their accessibility plan, showing how they plan to improve access over time. Currently, these reports can be found on individual school sites (a full list of links will be produced as part of the development of this site)

What is meant by Special Educational Needs?

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she: has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions

SEND Support

In Wirral the vast majority of children who have Special Educational Needs and or disabilities will have their needs met in their local mainstream early year’s settings, schools or colleges.

The support required to meet most children’s SEN needs will come from the setting, school or college’s own SEN budget (This is known as Element 1 and 2 funding). Previously, this support was known as School Action or School Action Plus. It is now called the “graduated response”. Wirral have worked with its schools to produce “Wirral Threshold Documents”. These documents seperate Special Educational Needs and Disability into the four broad areas of the code and layout what is expected of schools in terms of their ability to support children and young people. The documents also include details of Individual Pupil Funding Agreements, which is a local mechanism by which the Local Authority can help schools support a broader range of children with SEND.

Additional Funding for Maintained Mainstream Primary/ Secondary Schools through Individual Pupil Funding Agreements (IPFA)

Mainstream schools that identify pupils with the following types of SEN as defined by the Code of Practice can apply for additional support. This applies to:

• Cognition and Learning

• Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH)

• Communication and interaction needs

• Sensory and/or physical needs

This is to ensure that their educational outcomes can continue to be met in Mainstream schools (without the need for an EHCP). Pupils with IPFA’s will remain in their Mainstream school.

IPFA funding is for those who require additional support over and above the resources made available within the schools SEN notional budget. Schools may be allocated up to an additional 7 units of support. Applications for IPFA are to be made by the school to the Local Authority using the Threshold documents.

Admissions to special schools are managed by the SEN team and are restricted to children who have an EHC Plan.

SEN Team Contact Details

The SEN team are currently working remotely from home. You can contact the team on 0151 666 4377 and leave a voicemail, or email [email protected]

 Frequently Asked Questions

SEN Handbook
SEND Paperwork


 EHCP Applications:

  1. SNR1 Education, Health Care Plan Application Form as of April 2020
  2. SNR1 Consent as of April 2020
  3. SNR1 and P1 Guidance Form as of April 2020


1.Educational Advice towards the Assessment of a childs EHC needs

2. Laces Assessment of a Childs Education Health and Care needs

3. Parents Advice towards the Assessment of a Childs Education Health and Care plan

4. Social Care advice towards the Assessment of a childs Education Health and Care needs

5.Sensory Advice towards the Assessment of a Childs Education Health and Care needs

6. Other advice requested by parents or young person towards the Assessment of a childs Education Health and Care needs


1.Parent Carer Form to complete when making a request for an EHC needs assessment as of April 2020

Annual Reviews: 

  1. Annual Review Guide May 2020
  2. Quick Reference Flow Chart for Annual Reviews as of May 2020
  3. Post 16 Annual Review Paperwork as of May 2020
  4. EHCP Annual Review Update Covid-19
  5. Annual Review of Education Health Care Plan as of April 2020


  1. Request for Educational information following a Parental request for an Education Health and Care Assessment as of April 2020
  2. Individual Health Care Plan as of April 2020
  3. IHCP Parent Leaflet as of April 20
  4. School Leavers Review as of April 2020
  5. Wirral EHCP Risk Assessment Response

Pupil Funding Agreement Paperwork:

  1. P1 PFA Application as of April 2020
  2. P1 Consent as of April 2020
  3. Guidance on requesting a Pupil Funding Agreement as of April 2020
  4. PFA Annual Review Document as of April 2020

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) referral paperwork:

  1. School information for Pupil prior to placing on the ADHD pathway


Resourced Language Bases Paperwork:

  1. Parental Advice towards a Resourced Language Provision Review as of April 2020 (1)
  2. Request for Resourced Language Provision as of April 2020 (1)
  3. Annual Review re Resourced Language Base placement as of April 2020 (1)

Outreach Services:

  1. Integrated Response Pathway Request as of Nov 21 – Requests for Involvement from the Integrated Response Pathway may involve collecting pupil views, consultation, assessment, intervention, training, treatment and/or research and strategic development. These functions can be carried out with children, young people and families, with schools/other establishments and/or with the wider council. You may be supported by any member of the Educational Psychology Team, Gilbrook Outreach Service, CAMHS or the Early Help team.


       2. Kilgarth Referral Form

Disagreements relating to EHC Plans
When disagreements arise between young people or their parents/carers and the local authority or education, health or social care providers about an aspect of a child or young person’s special educational needs or provision they can be difficult to resolve.

Although ‘disagreement resolution’ and ‘mediation’ are often used interchangeably, under the Children and Families Act they have different meanings.

Disagreement Resolution is for young people with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and parents of children with SEND whether or not they have an Education Health or Care plan (EHCP). It allows parties to come together to discuss issues and explore possible solutions in a respectful, constructive way. Disagreement resolution meetings are often successful in finding a solution which is agreeable to both parties and can prevent the disagreement from escalating. Both parties come to the meeting voluntarily, with a view to resolving the disagreement amicably. During the meeting a neutral facilitator ensures that both parties have the opportunity to explain their points and listen to what the other party has to say.


Young people or their families who have, or who have requested an assessment for, an Education Health and Care plan (EHCP) or statement have the right to ask for mediation if they are unhappy with anything concerning the EHCP or statement.

Mediation is a confidential process (except in cases where there are safeguarding issues) and is conducted in a safe, neutral environment that allows for both parties to be listened to and understood.

Young people and families will be asked to consider mediation before registering an appeal, but having done so, they also have the right to decline it if they so wish. This decision will not affect the outcome of the appeal.

If the disagreement only concerns the name of the educational establishment then the case can proceed straight to appeal without the need for mediation.

There are separate appeal processes for challenging the health and social care parts of the plan.

How do I get more information about mediation?

When the Local Authority writes to you about their decision in regard to a statement or EHCP they will inform you of your right of appeal and will give the contact details of an independent mediation adviser. Before registering an appeal you should contact the mediation adviser to discuss whether mediation might be a suitable way to resolve the disagreement ask any questions you may have. If you do not wish to participate in mediation a certificate will be issued within 3 working days of the decision being made. You can send this certificate to Tribunal to register an appeal. If you have agreed to mediation, a meeting with all parties will be arranged within 30 calendar days at a neutral, accessible venue. Any agreements reached during the meeting will be written out and signed by both parties. The mediator will then produce a certificate within 3 working days of the mediation taking place, regardless of the outcome. If the mediation did not fully resolve the disagreement, and the young person or parent still wishes to appeal to Tribunal, the certificate must be sent to register an appeal within one month from receiving the certificate or two months from the original decision by the local authority, whichever is later. Wirral SEND Partnership Information Advice and Support service can give further information about registering an appeal with Tribunal. You can contact them on 0151 522 7990 or email [email protected]


Single Right of Redress

This useful document offers advice and outlines the options and process for pursuing resolution including via Tribunals.

Single Right of Redress

Services that can help you
What is the difference between IAS Services and Independent Supporters?

IAS Services are statutory services who are expected to provide information, advice and support to disabled children and young people, and those with SEN, and their parents/carers. They are expected to provide IAS on subjects including local policy and practice, the Local Offer, personalisation, personal budgets, the law on SEN and disability, health and social care. For more information see About IAS Services, the IASS Network Quality Standards and Chapter 2 of the SEND Code of Practice. Your local IAS service is Wirral SEND Partnership and they can be contacted on 0151 522 7990 (option 2).

The Independent Support Programme is a programme that provides additional support to young people and parents during the implementation of the SEND reforms, and is funded by the Department for Education (DfE). The IS Programme provides independent supporters in each local area, as an additional resource and for a time limited period, to work directly with young people and the parents of children being assessed for an EHC plan. For more info see the IS Programme pages on the CDC website

Your local IS service is PSS and can be contacted on 0151 702 5555.

What If I'm Not Happy?

Should the need arise to make a complaint IPSEA have prepared guidance to advise how to lodge a complaint against a School or the Local Authority.

Capital Allocation



Stanley Special School

Comment on the Stanley School project can be made to Strategic Commissioner Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) & Inclusion via email:

[email protected]


Foxfield Special School

Comment on the Foxfield School project can be made to Strategic Commissioner Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) & Inclusion via email:

[email protected]


Previous posts have explained the formal consultation process Wirral are currently undertaking. Wirral’s Local Offer will be publishing a series of documents over the next few weeks/months.

Attached are 3 documents. The word document below is asking for consultations on the two draft PDF documents.
Designated Schools Grant Management Plan Consultation Questions and Response Framework Proforma
Below are the two draft PDF documents

DSG Management Plan Consultation Questions and Response

DSG Management Plan Framework Proforma

Please click the link below to see the DfE Designated Schools Grant Management Plan for 2020/21



Pin It on Pinterest