We are always working to make Local Offer Wirral better for you. If you see anything on this website that needs improving please click here and let us know.

Local Offer Logo

Transition and Independent Living


Transition is the period when a young person moves from children’s to adult social care. Transition can begin from age 14 up until the age of 18. At this age young people move over to adult social care and within that time period the transition social workers work alongside children’s social care, education and health to support the young person into adulthood. This could include remaining in education – college placements or other learning opportunities. Places such as Wirral Evolutions support people with day service provision, education and job opportunities.

When the young person and family feel the young person is ready to be assessed for the future, the social worker from the Transition team will carry out a self-directed supported assessment – which is Care Act (2014) compliant. This assessment can start when the person is a child or young person, working in partnership with education, health and social care. The Transition Plan is updated when the young person turns 18.

At 18 the social care element of a care package is then be funded by adult social care. The transitions team will then support the young person with the assessment process and getting their outcomes from their support plan. Click here to find out more about the Transition Team including how to contact them.

Care Act (2014) factsheets
Fact Sheet_Post-16Support
Transition to Adulthood Brochure as of July 2019

Supported Living

As young people grow-up it is natural for them to consider ways to become more independent from their care givers. Young people with additional needs and/or disabilities may need extra support in order to live a more independent life. A supported living arrangement can offer a tailored package of care that enables the young person to move out of the family home whilst still receiving a level of support appropriate to their needs.

Supported living can allow young people to extend their skills and friendships and feel more able and better equipped to manage a home and life in a community. Supported living can help the young person grow in confidence and raise their self esteem by becoming, with appropriate support, a tenant in their own right.

Information on Disabled Facilities Grant

Shelter Merseyside

Shelter the housing and homeless charity offer advice and support on different aspects of housing including your rights when living in supported accommodation.
In Liverpool Shelter offers free, expert housing advice for people living in the Merseyside area.
They provide specialist advice across a number of housing issues including homelessness, debt, welfare benefits, rent arrears and bankruptcy.
The solicitors at Shelter Liverpool help anyone eligible for legal aid with free, confidential legal advice. In addition to guidance on housing issues, other information and resource centre has phones and computers you can use for free to help you resolve your housing problems.
Call for more information or to make an appointment.
0344 515 1900

Forum Housing | a local organisation that offers housing advice and supported lodgings

Contact the Housing Solutions Team on 0800 234 6007 (24 hours) or 0151 649 9718 (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm)
For more information go to www.forumhousing.co.uk.


Click the link below to access transport and travel information.
Information on transport, including Wirral’s transport policy.

Money Matters

Click the link below to be taken to the Money Matters page.
Information on money and finances, including personal budgets.

Transition to Adulthood Brochure as of July 2019

Pin It on Pinterest