We are always working to make Local Offer Wirral better for you. If you see anything on this website that needs improving please click here and let us know.

Local Offer Logo

Information for Early Years Settings

Wirral Families Information Service offers support for families with children and young people aged 0-19 years. We offer support to new childcare businesses, (including Childminders) advice on Ofsted regulation and EYFS Guidance. We offer support for Childcare Providers who have been inspected as Requires Improvement, or below. For more information contact [email protected] or 0800 085 8743

Become a Childcare Provider

Would you like to open a childcare business? For further information, please click here.

Childcare Sufficiency

Wirral Families Information Service (FIS) has a duty to ensure that there is sufficient good quality childcare in the Borough to meet the needs of local families. Childcare sufficiency involves ensuring that everyone in the borough has access to the childcare they need. The latest Childcare Sufficiency Assessment addresses the range of childcare available on Wirral, the cost, opening hours, flexibility of childcare and the demand for childcare.

Early Education for Two Year Olds

Two year olds who live in Wirral may be eligible for 15 hours free childcare per week, which adds up to 570 hours per year. The funding can be used in a day nursery, a pre-school, a children’s centre nursery or with a childminder. If your child meets the criteria, the funding can be used the term after their 2nd birthday. The application process is online, if you need support with this please contact The Families Information Service on, 0800 085 8743, your local Children Centre or Library. Click here to apply.

Early Education for 3 and 4 Year Olds

All three and four year olds are entitled to receive 15 hours per week of free early years entitlement. Children become eligible the term after their third birthday.

You can access the free entitlement at a nursery in a Wirral school or a nursery school, certain childminders, pre-school / playgroups, day nurseries or an independent school.

For information on registered childcare providers and availability in your area call 0800 0858 743. You should contact the provider of your choice as soon as possible in case they have a waiting list for places.

Early Years Pupil Premium

Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) is extra funding available for all early years providers that offer early years education for 3 and 4 year olds. The extra funding can be used to further improve the quality of education provided for disadvantaged children.

Support for Families

Wirral Council and its partners provide services which aim to help parents, carers and family members who are having difficulty with providing care and support for children and young people.

Some services are open to parents and carers directly and other services will need a referral from a professional such as a health worker or your school or children’s centre. Find out what’s on at your local Children’s Centre

Inclusive Practice Fund (IPF)

Early Years Providers can apply for additional funding to support the inclusion of children with additional needs in early education and childcare. The Inclusive Practice Fund (IPF) is intended to support providers with additional staff time. For more information and details of how to apply, please view the documents and flyer attached below or contact the SEND Team at Rock Ferry One Stop Shop, 257 Old Chester Road, Rock Ferry, Wirral, CH42 3TD or on 0151 666 4819 (Option 1) or email [email protected]

Disability Access Fund (DAF)

If there is a child in your setting that is receiving Disability Living Allowance, the setting can claim a one-off yearly payment to support them in the setting each year. Please note, children attending a Foundation 2 class will not be eligible. For more information, please see the flyer below or contact [email protected]. To apply, please use the application form located underneath the ‘Useful Documents’ heading below.

SEND Paperwork and Processes

Early Years Support Plan paperwork 

Inclusive Practice Funding Paperwork

Early Years SEND Referral Forms

Disability Access Fund paperwork

Other Useful Reads:

Pin It on Pinterest